Saturday, November 13, 2010

An Epic Ending

Jasmine A.

Viewers of this set may experience a bit of déjà vu, I know I initially did. But I was able to unravel the mystery. Every visitor to MetArt gets a glimpse of it. And every time a member returns to the site, it’s right there, in the upper, left of the landing page: an image of Jasmine A. in her ballet slippers and violet tutu. While that single image is a longstanding element of MetArt’s site design, the multi-part series has a rich history here. The first installment of Goncharov’s “Ballet Rehearsal” appeared in January, 2004. Additional “episodes” appeared in 2004 and 2005. But the photographer has waited until now to bring down the curtain on his masterful series.

Let me simply say that it was certainly worth the wait! But wait a bit longer before jumping to any conclusions about the set. Jasmine isn’t simply a model wearing a ballerina costume. She is a classically trained ballerina who is also a model. As a result, she can assume poses far beyond the physical ability of even the most fit and agile female. In dozens of images here, for example, she is en pointe, standing gracefully on the very tips of her toes. To adequately describe this set would require far more space than I’ve been allotted, and I find myself compelled to go have a leisurely look at the first three sets in this masterful quartet. I expect many others will have a similar reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment